Electronic Billing in a Nutshell
April 19, 2014 by Catherine Montgomery
- The electronic billing mandate is a statute that's in the Labor Code, as Title 8 of CCR: Sections 9792.5.1(b), 9792.5.2(c) and 9792.5.3(b).
- In effect since October, 2012.
- Requires insurers to accept electronic bills from providers who treat workers' comp patients.
- Requires insurers to electronically process those electronic bills and send out electronic EORs.
- Shortened timelines for processing and payment of electronic bills.
- Compared to paper bills, electronic bills are faster, more easily processed, and more easily tracked.
- More efficient system for providers, insurers, and regulators than paper billing.
- Lower costs of administration for everybody.
- Results in more providers willing to treat injured workers.
- Transparent system, with easy, instant data about how bills are being sent, paid, and processed.
- Provides actionable data upon which to base regulatory decisions.