The DWC finalizes the MTUS regulations in response to reports of widespread opioid abuse:
- Updates the Chronic Pain Medical Treatment Guidelines.
- Adopts Opioids Treatment Guidelines.
- Notable is the emphasis on evidence-based care and changes to the meaning of chronic pain.
- These regulations apply to any treatment requests made on or after July 29, 2016.
For more, read DWC Newsline No.: 2016-78.
Related to the final MTUS regulations, the DWC is on target to implement a workers’ compensation drug formulary by July, 2017. Draft regulations here.
Other News: HOPD/ASC and Home Health Care Services
The final MTUS isn't all – the DWC has been busy:
- Issued notice of a 15-day comment period on proposed modifications to the Hospital Outpatient Departments and Ambulatory Surgical Centers (HOPD/ASC) section of the Official Medical Fee Schedule (OMFS) regulation. Written comments accepted until 5pm on September 23, 2016.
- Posted amended draft regulations for the implementation of a fee schedule for home health care services.
Don't forget about the other work comp changes in the pipeline. SB 1160 is about to shake up California workers' comp, and we want you all to be ready for it when it comes. Watch our October webinar for more on the SB 1160 reforms and how they affect professionals in the workers' comp space.